Friday, May 17, 2013

Day 4 in the NICU

Today was another great day visiting Lola Bean! Last night, Nathan and I got to hold Lola for about 45 minutes. She was swaddled and I got to hold her in my arms for the first time. I cried tears of joy for this precious girl that I love very much.

Today we got to the hospital around 11 and I got to do kangaroo care (skin-to-skin contact while holding the baby) for the first time. Lola and I loved it. I may have also cried again, but I assured Lola that someday Mommy wouldn't cry every day. I got to hold her against my chest for 1.5 hours! It was the best feeling in the world. I love her so much.

They will only allow one person to hold her a day right now, so Nathan will get to do kangaroo care tomorrow. I have tried bribing him to give up his turn, but he is not budging. He wants to hold his little girl. Every time I look at the pictures of me holding her these two times, I have the most unflattering smile on my face. One that is too big, holding back tears and one that makes me remember the sheer joy and love I felt at that moment.
Lola still had the nasal cannula in when I held her today. They said she will have it removed later today. They did not want to remove it until after she did her first kangaroo care, just on case. All in all, she is doing wonderful and I am optimistic that she will be home in the next few weeks.

We are so grateful for our friends and family. We have the most amazing friends who are taking Tait on play dates so that we can see our baby girl. This weekend worried us on how we would be able to juggle Tait and visits to Lola, but our friends Stephanie and James are taking him to the touch a truck event Saturday and Damon and Leslie are going to let the kids play on Sunday. Tait is loving these play dates. He got to go eat pizza with the Martinez family and play at their house last night. The first thing he asked today was if he could play with Evan and Emily after school tonight. I think he is eating up the attention and I am so happy that we have such wonderful friends to help him in this very confusing time. We love you guys and are so lucky to call you friends!!!

And now, what you really want to see are pictures of our angel. Here you go...







No comments:

Post a Comment